Saturday, May 19, 2007

Dearly Beloved

1986 falls right in the middle of what I have many times identified as my least favorite period in GL history. I know very well that this runs directly contrary to popular opinion. As far as most people are concerned, these are GL's "golden years." I don't feel that way for a variety of reasons, most of which I've made fairly public, but this project exists to serve all GL viewers, including lovers of the mid-80's and so this week finds us in that twangy, colorful era of GL.

Dearly Beloved focuses on the aborted wedding of Kyle Sampson and Reva Shayne, called to a screeching halt by Maeve Stoddard. The other central event is Mindy discovering that her husband, Kurt, has been killed. The two events intertwine, linked by the fact the they both involve the same family. Very little, in fact, occurred on GL that didn't involve the Lewis/Shayne family during this period.

Leslie Denniston gives a really terrific performance as Maeve. The naturalistic, "classic soap" feel of what she does acts as a refreshing contrast to a lot of what goes on around her and the scenes that she shares with Larkin Malloy as Kyle (who also gives a standout performance) are among my favorite parts of this set.

This event also features the return of Robert Newman to GL and the role of Josh after an absence of about a year, thus solidifying it as a doubly important event in the long and storied chronicles of Reva, who, in this set alone, is left at the altar, hit by a car, and treated to a lovely outdoor musical montage.

I can't finish this blog entry without mentioning that it was next to impossible to concentrate on Jay Hammer's performance as Fletcher after having recently seen for the first time his stint as Tom and Helen's son, Alan, on THE JEFFERSONS. The memory of Hammer "jive talking" and rolling his neck as he argued with the white father he just couldn't relate to is burned indelibly into my brain. Those of you who've had the pleasure of seeing it will know what I mean and those of you haven't... be very glad!

Dearly Beloved--
clip 1 , clip 2 , clip 3 , clip 4 , clip 5 , clip 6
clip 7 , clip 8 , clip 9 , clip 10 , clip 11 , clip 12
clip 13 , clip 14 , clip 15 , clip 16 , clip 17 , clip 18
clip 19 , clip 20 , clip 21 , clip 22 , clip 23
_____________________________________
This previously posted mini-set from late 1985 shows Kyle telling Maeve about his intention to marry Reva. The events Kyle describes in his speech to Maeve in clip 1 are an example of one reason why I'm not overly fond of this period.
The Woman You Love--
clip 1 , clip 2

2 Comments:

Blogger Booked in WP said...

Wow! After enjoying your GL clips on YouTube for some time now I'm thrilled to find this blog. I had forgotten what a complete mess GL was during this era. I grew up with GL - it was my grandmother's "story" - so I've seen dozens of incarnations of the show but this is one of the few that doesn't hold up.
I'd go so far as to say that this is the point when Reva went from being an interesting if screen hogging character to being a joke. Kyle has just found out the son he thought died is alive, Maeve is looking for her lost son and Mindy has just been widowed but it's all about Reva. How dare Kyle put off his wedding to Reva just to find his son! How could anyone possibly think of telling Mindy about Kurt - it might spoil Reva's wedding! And after all the nasty things Kyle has done, nothing is worse than LEAVING REVA AT THE ALTAR. Hilarious.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I really enjoyed this set. I remember it so well. The drama for me was caused by my liking both Maeve and Reva, creating tension! and I liked Reva with Kyle . . . I wanted Maeve with Fletcher, which happened later anyway.

Again, thank you so much, Ivn for creating the Guiding Light Memory Project!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home